Bare bottom chicken- straining

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eckielady, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    We just bought a couple buff Orpington hens. They are both at a healthy weight but one has a bare bottom and acts like she's straining a bit. Seems to be eating and such fine. Any thoughts??

2. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    Maybe constipation? The miracle worker around here seems to be apple cider vinegar, did wonders for some digestive issues in my chicks by adding it to their water. Is the chick drinking well? You might try a wet mash to get some extra fluids going. I wonder if the bottom fluff is missing from prior pasty-butt episodes. Warm water vent stimulation, like running water in a sink with a q-tip, might also help.

*And I just re-read hens. Are they of laying age?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  3. Eckielady

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    We put acv in their water so hopefully that helps but she's a grown chicken. I searched for bugs and didn't see anything. May check again for any signs of being egg bound.

4. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    Is she pooping at all, or can you separate her a bit to watch her input/output closely?

5. Eckielady

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    I have no way to separate her but she had poop stuck to her feathers so I think so. I felt around and did feel an egg inside but not sure if it's stuck or just there to be laid. She's very dry around her vent. She's in the coop now laying in the corner like she might drop the egg so I'm watching to see if she does.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Dehydration can be a cause of egg binding or constipation. I would try to get her to drink some plain water or put some electrolytes in it (like SaveAChick or other brands.) Clean off her feathers or wash her bottom of in soap and water, then dry her. Diarrhea can cause stuck poop. She may have had her feathers pecked out by other chickens. I would look her over for lice and mites around her vent, and think about worming them before adding them to my flock. Normal quarantine time is a month to look for signs of illness before adding them to our flock. Many people buy birds who turn out to be sick. Here is an article to read on egg binding:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

7. Eckielady

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    She went in and laid her egg so either that wasn't the issue or lubing her up a bit helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by