Bare bottom hen!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eckielady, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    I've searched for bugs and there aren't any. She's flexing her vent like it's bothering her and it's gotten more red. The tan stuff is nu-stock so not part of the issue. If I touch the area it is soft and squishy. Help!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    She might be trying to to lay an egg, have u tried helping her? The other hens might be picking on her, do you feed them often? How old is she?

3. Eckielady

Eckielady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2017
    East Tennessee
    We've only had her for a short time. She's laying a nice size egg every day so she's not eggbound. She was like this when we got her. I'm not sure on age but I'd guess about a year or so although I'm no expert. She's not as filled out as our lavender orpingtons so I think she's still youngish.
    I tried to compare her squishiness to a few others and they were so similar that I couldn't decide if hers was bigger or not. She is red though and her vent is bothering her because she keeps.....I don't know how to describe it but it's like she's pulsating it. Retracting back and forth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by