bare bottom on sliver laced wyandotts only. WHY

woolychicken

Songster
10 Years
Oct 3, 2009
mesick michigan
I HAVE 5 SLIVER LACED WYANDOTTES ,5 BUFFS , 5 RED STAR AND 4 WHITE LEGHORNS HENS
D.gif
MY OTHER HENS LOOK GOOD EXCEPT THE WYANDOOTES THEY HAVE BARE BOTTOMS
hit.gif
AND I KEEP APRONS ON THEM BECAUSE MY ROOSTER SEEMS TO LIKE THEM THE BEST
WHAT IS GOING ON AND DO I REALLY NEED A ROOSTER?
hu.gif

Don't know for sure, but some of my hens have bare bottoms as well, and we have found that they are actually picking at each other. They actually eat the feathers. I have read that this is possibly due to a dietary imbalance, and that the hens that are doing the pecking need more protein. I also heard that it is because they are bored, or that they don't have enough space per bird, but our birds do have enough space, and they have a variety of toys, perches, and we upped the protein intake without any change in behavior. We bought one apron, and have that on one of the birds that has pecked areas on her back, and purc Any of these ideas may help you, thoughased pinless peepers to use on the troublemakers. My idea is that it may have started with boredom, or something, but it now is a habit that needs to be broken. Good luck with your birds.

I too have one slw who is bare bottomed she is the bottom of the list everyone picks on her bottom cause it's bare I am thinking about putting her in a timeout pin for her own bottom's safety. THe rooster got her yesterday so many times and then my duck is getting her ! SOOOO CRAZZZYYY!!!!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom