Bare Bottom Silkie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jinks12333, Oct 13, 2013.

1. jinks12333

jinks12333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Akron Area, Ohio
    I have 2 little (6 weeks old) splash Silkie chicks... One has the cutest fluffy little hind end and the other is completely bare bottomed?? I can't figure it out... I have checked all over them and no bugs... They were medicated by the breeder when I got them and I kept them on medicated chick feed. I just don't get it... Anyone have any clue what could be going on? Or am I going to lose one of my babies :(

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Ours came home with us because it had a bare butt and the kids felt sorry for it. It was bare because the other chicks (non silkies) were picking its feathers out.
    We got some 10 wk old faverolles and they were all missing tail feathers as they came out of a crowded pen and the other chicks were feather picking.

Have they got much room? I am wondering if the other one is feather pulling due to boredom..

You could try giving them more room to play around in etc or even spraying its little butt with some feather nopick spray that you can buy for cage birds from the pet shop.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  3. jinks12333

jinks12333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Akron Area, Ohio
    They have a 4ft square "house" and have a 5ft L 4ft W & 3ft T run... But i recently added another 10ft x 10ft daytime "play pen" they have plenty of room i think, its 2 10wk old slikies and 2 20wk silkies and 1 25week barred rock. They all seem to do well together and have plenty of "toys" to occupy them.... I guess maybe ill try the spray? Its just puzzling. (and i feel bad for the little thing)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by