Bare bottomed chickens, NOT molting. Help for winter!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LunaChickie, Sep 30, 2016.

1. LunaChickie

LunaChickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2016
    So I acquired 4 hens from one woman. Two of them (a Leghorn and a Silver Laced Wyandotte) looked great. Two of them, the woman said, were molting. One is a RIR and the other is a Blue Andalusian. As we were just thinning her flock and starting up our own, we took her at her word and she caught the hens she could catch for us. It's become very clear that they aren't molting. No new feathers are growing and they look broken off in there. That said, we've had them for over a month and nothing has changed. They both look pretty beat up, but the RIR the worst. She's currently top of the pecking order, so it's pretty entertaining seeing this raggedy hen boss everyone around.

My worry is winter. I live in northern Utah. We get lots of snow but don't generally dip into the negatives. These guys aren't going to have feathers for winter. Do I need to do something for their bare bottoms?

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

How old are the Birds? Chickens do not come into moult till around 18 months old....

Cheers!

3. LunaChickie

Jan 26, 2016
    Those 4 are 2 years old. We took them because she had hatched some new layers and she was keeping her flock laying I'm assuming.

The two without feathers are both laying pretty frequently still.

4. chickens really

I assume she had a Rooster or two?
    The feathers will grow back once they moult...Possible over crowding and feather pecking at the last home...Up the protein in their diet and just wait it out....
    Flock raiser mixed with layer pellets will help....Oyster shell on the side to free choice....

Cheers!

5. LunaChickie

Jan 26, 2016
    She had a rooster who was in a separate pen but I'm guessing not always ;) I had wondered if overcrowding was the issue because she had a LOT.

Thanks for the tips. I have been giving them ground up eggshells in their feed hoping it'd help too. I'll pick up some oyster shell.

6. chickens really

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by