Bare-bottomed chickens! Very worried!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hancockchickens, Jan 15, 2014.

1. hancockchickens

hancockchickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2013
    Hancock, Maine
    So I have 7 birds (1 RR, 3RSL, and 3 BSL). This is our first winter with our babies and we are chicken novices.

Four our of seven birds are looking rather roughed up. Near as I can tell, there isn't much of a pecking order (never has been with our girls). The ones who are looking rough are the four red girls.

Polly started it, and I assumed it was boredom, so we got her a flock block so she and the other babes could have something to peck at in those -25 windchill days that we kept them in. Then Sassy started missing some of her tail feathers. By the time Sassy started, Polly was bald around her vent and has just a few primary feathers left. And there isn't so much as a bump where the old feathers used to be!

Now Polly, Sassy, and Cindy have bald hienies, and Pudge is looking a little sparse.

The BSLs are looking fine, no one seems to be picking on anyone. I did a full bedding removal last week during one of the storms and treated for mites with Poultry Protector. I was unable to treat them at that point due to the windchill.

I finally got them MOSTLY treated today, though I haven't seen any mites. I am immensely pregnant (overdue, actually) and couldn't very well wrangle them alone....so I shot their tushies from afar and got their tails pretty good.

Sassy's bum is very very red.p, which worries me, but all birds are up and moving and looking good, otherwise. Laying is great as always (5-7 a day). The reds are 6 or so weeks older than the BSLs but I didn't think chickens molted so young! They were hatched in very early spring. Anyone have any thoughts? Would like to figure this out before the baby comes and the temp drops again (Maine).

2. katbriar

katbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    Northern New Mexico
    How much space do your 7 birds have? If they're cooped up because of the temperatures in a smaller space it may be causing them to pick.

You can hang a head of cabbage or other vegetables where they have to stretch to peck using an eye bolt and twine or chain. They'll keep busy playing tether ball.

Many people use a spray on product called blue kote over the bare skin to discourage picking. Be careful what you spray it on as it stains things blue!

3. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    IV got the same kind of thing...I think they eat feathers...look on eBay for a hen feather picking apron...and spray with hot pick or blukote...watch the one with red butt
    They will Peck her to death if they get a notion to...add a bale of straw for them to work over...fresh veggies spread out...treat of. Soft catfood

4. tatertot

Aug 20, 2013
    IV JUST
    ABOUT HAD ENOUGH OF THE FEATHER PICKING...DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO STOP IT...IM JUST SHORT OF DEBEAKING...AND IM AGAINST THAT!
    THE APRON DIDNT WORK...HELP PLEASE

5. SallyBally

SallyBally New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    in another post I was reading (cant recall where) someone mentioned using vicks vapor rub.. but I am not sure. I have never used it.. has anyone tried this with their chickens?

6. tatertot

Aug 20, 2013
    I dyed her butt green with food coloring..can't seem to get anywhere to get hot pick or blue kite...
    Tried the rooster booster pick no more...she ate it off her own backside..besides it smelled like grape candy...big waste of cashola

7. tatertot

Aug 20, 2013
    its like11 degrees here...wouldn't Vicksburg freeze her butt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by