Bare bottomed roo.

Henrybetta

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Ok, so I am posting this only because this is the only roo of mine this has ever happened to, he is a great roo and I don't want to be rid of him for that reason.

He has had a bare bottom, like a big bare patch around his vent for probably over a year now. He has been one of two roos, and he has been the only roo and he has been through a molt and those feathers have never grown back.

I haven't checked too closely for lice or mites because he is the only bird I have ever had who has had this problem. I tried googling and searching but there isn't much on this topic. Any advice would be appreciated.

What is the condition of the skin where it is bare - is it raw, irritated, broken or undamaged? Have you noticed any picking going on in the flock? He may be "hen pecked" quite literally - the fuzz around the vent is often quite attractive to potential pickers.

It is a really dark red or brown. He is an EE with black legs, and feathers and I'm not sure if that's just the way it looks. He used to have bare legs, too but those feathers grew back. I got rid of the roo he was with at the time. I guess I will have to go out there when he's sleeping and take a closer look. His legs were bright red when they were bare though, unlike this.

I haven't noticed any picking. He is fairly submissive though which is why I like him so much. There is a young bantam cochin in there who is too rough of the hens so things are a little tense now, but he won't be around much longer and the bare bottom pre-dates him, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom