Bare bummed baby - please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjhopper, May 30, 2016.

1. jjhopper

jjhopper New Egg

May 30, 2016
    Hello I am looking for help and insight into a problem I am having with one of my chicks. It is 6 days old and about two days ago I noticed it has no feathers around its but and under its wings. It is completely bald and its anus is slightly red and swollen. I am not sure if this is coccidiosis or vent gleet or something else... I feel just awful about it and am trying very hard to help this little guy out but am worried I am doing everything wrong.

I have been feeding the chicks fermented unmedicated chick starter and water that has a mix of honey, garlic, cinnamon and apple cider vinegar. I have also been hanging little herbs and things in there for them to explore. Once i saw that this one was dealing with some issues, I added oil of oregano to the water and fed him a little Kefir. I initially separated him from the rest so I could observe him. His droppings don't have any blood in them. They are slightly runnier and stick to his butt. I have been cleaning him up and today I put some poplar oil on the affected areas. His energy levels seem fine other than the stress of being alone - he is eating and drinking.

any ideas or insights would be appreciated.

Another side issue is with the fermented feed a lot of my chicks have very messy chins. I have made an extra effort to really strain the feed so it is as dry as I can get it. I am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about.

Thanks so much. I am trying my best and I hope I haven't done anything too detrimental.

Some other notes are there bedding is wood shavings and I have 45 western rustics and 5 cornish cross. the one in question is a cornish.

Thanks so much

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He may be constipated or have a mild prolapse. Pictures may be helpful. I would stop all of the herbs for now, and just give him chick feed with electrolytes and vitamins, plus the kefir for probiotics. Give him a few drops of molasses to cause him to poop. How have his droppings looked? Make sure that he isn't too hot and is drinking plenty of fluids.

3. jjhopper

jjhopper New Egg

May 30, 2016
    Thank you for the reply!

His droppings look like the other chicks droppings (cylindrical, brown with a touch of white) and his energy levels are still on par with the others. I reunited him with the group after observing him for a few days. his feathers are starting to grow back but he is still having feces crust around his anus. I was removing them with poplar oil but the last day and a half have left him alone to see what happens. I am feeling relieved but still keeping a watchful eye. I will try and get a picture up this afternoon if I can.

where do you get the electrolytes from?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can make some chick electrolytes from recipes online, or get some from the feed store which are preferred since they also have vitamins. Save AChick is a common brand, but Durvet and Rooster Booster sell them also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by