1. chickenchicky11

chickenchicky11 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2015
    Newton, NH
    I have 2 BSL, 2 Golden Comets & 2 RI reds. One of my BSL has lost almost all of the feathers on her bum. All of my others are also
    starting to lose their feathers on their bum as well. I have checked for mites. I don't see any. I don't have a roo. What in the world is happening???? [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
  3. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California
    Does it look like the feathers were plucked out? I had a hen who just loves to pluck and eat the fluffy bum feathers. Some extra protein and a few days in solitary did the trick. If you can just observer your ladies for a while and see if you notice any picking

4. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    Also agree with Heather. If one bird doesn't have the suspicious bare bottom then she could be your culprit haha.

5. chickenchicky11

May 12, 2015
    Newton, NH
    My girls don't have lice or mites. But these feathers are not growing back. And now almost all my girls are losing enough feathers that all their bums are bare. Can anyone give me an answer???? Someone has to know what this is!!!!

6. chickenchicky11

May 12, 2015
    Newton, NH
    And I don't see anyone pecking at each other. They are all losing feathers

7. chickenchicky11

May 12, 2015
    Newton, NH

Also agree with Heather. If one bird doesn't have the suspicious bare bottom then she could be your culprit haha.
    [/quote

They are all losing feathers now. I don't believe it's another girl pecking. And it's not mites or lice. I'm lost.

8. chickenchicky11

May 12, 2015
    Newton, NH
  9. chickenchicky11

May 12, 2015
    Newton, NH

I don't know what it would look like for the feathers to be "plucked" out. What should I look for?

10. heatherlaw

heatherlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2015
    Roseville, California

The feathers would either be broken off or completely pulled out. Feathers that have been plucked usually leave a red pore behind, just like when we pluck hair out. If it's another hen pulling them out then some of the surrounding feathers may look ragged from being pulled on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by