bare butt chicken - disease?

kmanhman

Hatching
Oct 28, 2020
About a month ago, we inherited a large-ish flock of about 20 hens. So far so good in terms of taking care of them. They have a fully covered/contained coop and plenty of outdoors space to run around in.

Recently we noticed one of the hens has a bare bottom. From what we've read online it sounds like this could be a variety of things ranging from parasites to bullying to possible disease. Would love to get some feedback as to whether we should be worried and/or what pro-active treatment steps we might take. Behaviorally, we don't see any issues in the flock. We inspected her at night and don't see any blood or scurrying mites (but I assume they're hard to detect). We don't see any symptoms or anything unusual in other members of the flock.

I've attached two photos. I can't tell if her butt is swollen or not as I don't know what a chicken butt looks like bare! Would love any feedback or thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6213.jpg
    IMG_6213.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6228.jpg
    IMG_6228.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 18
:welcome It looks as if she may have been feather plucked or molted - the good news is that pin feathers are growing and she will soon be fully feathered once again.

That’s good feedback thanks! Anything we can do to reduce the feather plucking? From a quick googling it sounds like that’s largely based on too small a cage or lack of social interaction? She has plenty of space to run around and plenty of fellow hens to interact with. Anything we can do to help reduce this effect or improve the situation? Any other possible causes of this that we should be watching out for? Thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom