Bare butted chicken!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fightingbunny, Feb 4, 2017.

1. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Does anyone know why my chickens would be getting bare spots on their stomach's/butts? I have one chicken with a lot of feathers missing and another that is looking similar but not as big a spot. The chickens were hatched in June and have been laying since December and seem healthy overall. I did not see any mites or missing feathers elsewhere on their bodies. The other two chickens seem unaffected. The vents are still feathered and look okay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Could your hens be broody? I had a GLW that plucked out the feathers on her abdomen when she went broody (a surprise to me)...the first picture, especially, reminds me of her. She hatched and raised three chicks. [​IMG]

3. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    My first thought was that they were feeling broody (as I am feeling that way for some spring chicks!!), but wouldn't the plucked area be more underneath and forward? I thought that was more "chest" area?

I am concerned that I might have a feather eater!! I don't mind a broody hen, but I don't want them fighting. We are in the middle of planning a much bigger coop as ours is a small temporary one, so I am worried they are too crowded.

4. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by