Bare butts and infected eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tak, Mar 17, 2011.

1. tak

tak New Egg

Mar 17, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm new to the the chicken dance and need some advice. We have six hens which we got last year. One was raised from a chic (aracauna) the others came after because all the other chics turned out to be males. So we returned them and got hens. They all are laying fine at this point but we have two problems. Two with bare butts and two have eye infections(?).

The eye problem started off with one early in winter. We noticed the other just two weeks ago. We had treated the first with VetRx and have started treating the second one with as well. But it has not had any effect. We just started using diatomaceous earth with the hope that it would possibly correct should it be a worm problem.

Besides that I have the same problem of bare butts as many on this forum. This started over the winter and four of my six hens were bare bottom before I knew it. I have checked them for lice on a number of occasions. The cope is big enough for six birds and has a nice size run. I clean it on a routine basis. I have kept them fed with layer pellets, cracked corn, oyster shell and many kitchen scraps. I have used blue cote several times which helped two of them. Though my wife does not like me using it because it gets on the eggs. I've moved their roosts so they can all be up high, which they seem to prefer. The weather has been nice enough to let them out in the yard over the past two weeks and I had hoped that this would solve the problem. Though the other two are still bare. Do I just have a bad girl in the bunch? Could it be my Aracauna because she is the only original? No bare butt or eye problem. Or the other which has had neither.

Alas, I'm not sure what to do from here. Any help is appreciated.

2. tak

tak New Egg

Mar 17, 2011
    I just realized that I posted to the emergency header. I didn't mean for that. I am new to the group and found my way here by my search. Any advice is still appreciated beyond those who need immediate assistance. I will repost appopriatley.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by