Bare butts, now what? Polish little ones

andisgarden

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
I have two little Polish chicks that have had problems since I have got them. I lost one of the silvers 2 days after it came home and I have one silver or black and one that is blue. They always have runny poop and the rest of my chickens seem to have more solid poo. I have been keeping them clean but, when their feathers are wet on their butt they pick the feathers off. Now both of them have really bare butts. It is much easier to wipe off but, will this harm them? I don't notice the others picking them or even paying any attention to their bare backsides.

Please advise what I need to do. I was thinking vaseline. I think I read that in a few other threads.

Thanks

I'm having the same kind of problem with mine- i just read that the chick feed for bantams should be ground up to make smaller pieces for them- have done that, will see how it affects them....

So, the crumbles are too big? The banties are eating the same thing with no problem and the other 5 Polish are not having this problem only these 2. They seem robust and happy they are trying to fly and run around eating and pooping like all good chicks should. HUUUMMMPH I am stumped.

I don't think it's the size of crumble.(I use Southern States because it is very small, but have used others too) You might try to give them some vitamins in their water to give them a boost. Also their bear butts won't hurt them and putting a little Vaseline is a good idea to prevent further sticking and chapping of the skin. Also a little Corid for coccidia wouldn't hurt if that might be a problem, just use separate from Vitamins.Best wishes

Last edited:
I hate to medicate if it isn't necessary. They are happy, energetic, really nice looking and social. I change the food, water and bedding often so I think I will just sit back and watch. If I notice a change in poop or their behavior I will medicate.

Thanks,

Andrea

Quote:
Hi Andrea!
Vitamins are not medication, they are immunity boosters that all young birds should be given to get their systems on the right track. I would highly suggest that. You may want to seperate these chicks until they heal. Even putting a wire wall up in the same brooder would work.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom