1. rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Yarmouth
    Good day to you all ! [​IMG] I am looking for help why my girls butt feathers are not growing back . They lost them 3 months back . I see no mites or lice but I will look somemore . I gave them milk , cat food, and fish for more protein . Did not seem to help . Free rangeing the last month brought back the feathers on there backs . I feel that was from molting, but there "butts " show no signs of coming back. I took a picture today so you all could see ,mind you it's hard to get when they know you're looking . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Reg.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Are they perhaps pecking each other?

Is this happening to all or just some? I ask because sometimes they will peck each other when roosting at night, if the roosts are at different heights.

3. rowdyrooster

Apr 22, 2009
    Yarmouth
    I have 12 hen and I would say 1/2 are. The roosts are at different hights too . It could have been from bordom but since they been free ranging for a month I thought the feathers would start back.[​IMG]

4. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Holy Cow!!! You beat me to it. I was just going to ask this myself.
    I have 3 hens that had been picked at by my daughter's BR. They have healed since and show no signs of growing feathers back. I got peepers for all the hens when this started but the BR some how got around the peepers. She had to be culled because she would not stop.

The hens that got it the worst are the naked butt ones.......

Kinda like getting waxed too much?

Will they grow back or will they continue to be drafty back there?

5. rowdyrooster

Apr 22, 2009
    Yarmouth
    I watched when they went to bed . All I seen was them grooming themselfs . A few pecks in the head to move over . No pecking in the butt area .[​IMG]

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Often when they lose their feathers prematurely they will not grow back until their natural molt next time. Sorry wish I could help Jean

7. bbower

bbower Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2008
    I had one get a bare butt for no apparent reason a couple of months ago. Dh found her dead a few days ago. The others don't
    seem to have this problem. I wonder if we should worry. Brenda

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    That looks exactly the way 4 of my SLW backs just above the spot where their tail feathers start to emerge. And the reason behind our little featherless problem are the two dominant Delaware hens at the top of our pecking order.

We tried a "hot spray" made of organic materials, but it didn't really seem to deter the girls. It's been about a month since we last used the spray and it looks as if some of the feathers are growing back in, but alas not all have returned. Leaving a bare patch just like in your picture.

It was worse over the winter during the long cold/dark days, when the hens I'm sure were dying of boredom and decided to try and eat each other.

I don't know? Sorry. [​IMG]

My hens are a little over a year old, btw.

9. sweetpeasmom

sweetpeasmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2008
    Does the butt area seem to be swelling or getting enlarged at all. I have several hens who's butt feathers went kinda droopy at first like they were dieing. Eventually all feathers fell out and then the butts started to swell or enlarge. I have had no luck finding out what the problem is. I had one in Dec that did the samething. Thought she was an internally layer so I culled her. Now I don't think that was the problem. Good luck with your chickens. Hope they get better.

10. rowdyrooster

Apr 22, 2009
    Yarmouth
    no , no swelling , just starting to look sunburned maybe some sunscreen is in order![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by