Bare butts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bawkbawk, May 21, 2010.

1. bawkbawk

bawkbawk In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    We have a small backyard flock. I just noticed tonight when tucking them in for the evening that our two Buff Orpingtons (10 months old) have a big patch of feathers missing from their bottoms!

They've been acting just fine, and I don't think that they're laying less (we've had a couple of slow days, but generally they seem to be doing the same).

It seems that they are to young to be moulting, and this doesn't seem like the right time of year, either. I haven't noticed any pecking, but they do spend a fair amount of time dust-bathing. I don't see any lice or other parasites, but should I worry or treat for this just in case?

I'd sure appreciate any advice...

2. bawkbawk

bawkbawk In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    I should add that all of our other chickens are fine and are the same age (but different breeds) as the bare-bottomed ones...

3. Kate+chicks

Kate+chicks In the Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    We have an "odd" chicken that seems to be a cross of a turken and a golden laced cochin named Susie. When we got her and her companions in January we were told that they were about 24 months old and that Susie was molting. The others in the flock were dominiques and red sex links. No others were molting and have never experienced feather loss. SInce then she has never completely grown in her feathers except at the very top of her tail, I dust her with DE frequently and have never seen any mites or lice. She is my sweetest chicken but is admittedly very strange looking.
    I see no signs of her being in bad health. She is a big eater of anything I give her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: