1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bare Chicken Back

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brownfarms, Jun 29, 2008.

1. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Is this normal looking?? I didn't put in the emergency section since it isn't but one of my 1.5 week chicks doesn't have much down on her back. I don't think it is from plucking but can't be 100% sure. It might get better now that their digs are bigger.
    [​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Are others pecking at her feathers?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That's usually a sign of not enough space in the brooder. They get bored and overcrowded and pick at new feather growth. It can also be from a slow feathering gene. Glad to hear you increased the space..if you don't see improvement or no one else is affected, then consider the gene as a possible issue.

eta - red light can help reduce the picking as well.

Jody

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Probably picking, however, my poor Suede looked like that while in the brooder. He was just VERY slow to feather in. Now, he's my avatar, but he was completely bald on his back and sides for awhile.

5. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    Thanks all. I'm in the right direction then! Bigger digs, red light, etc. I'll watch her. I haven't seen any other chicks pecking her. She's quite fiesty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by