Bare Chicken Butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickencoop789, Aug 9, 2013.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    One of my barred rock hens has a bare spot with no feathers on her butt about an inch or two under the vent. Around the bare spot the feathers are sparse and look kind of stringy. It rained yesterday and today I noticed it. (I'm not sure if the rain had anything to do with it.) She is at the top of the pecking order so I don't think it's feather picking. The bald area isn't red or swollen or anything, it's just doesn't have any feathers. I don't have a rooster either. Does anyone know what this is???

2. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I was just outside and I saw a few chickens pecking the feathers around the bare spot. If it's feather picking, what do I do?

3. smack2013

smack2013 New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    I dont have the solution, I have the same problem. Missing feathers on all my hens butts. No sticky discharge though. I also have a hen who's comb is limp and she is also limping. Not eating and not perching at night. No sign of bumblefoot, no sign of injury. My husband wants to dispatch her, but if we can heal her I would prefer that.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check for mites/lice,look under wings,around vent area,base of tail feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by