Bare Dirt Floor??

Yes. Either is fine. Straw can be messy but my girls prefer it over shavings. In reality, just about everything is in there right now. Leaves, pine needles, shavings, straw, whatever I have on hand. The bare floor will get messed up fast and nasty.

Mine is bare dirt. About every three weeks to month we just go out with a rake and rake it out. And it doesn't smell bad. (I just made the comment last night to my husband that it was time to clean the coop again.)

It's up to you. I have a concrete floor in the coop and I use pine shavings. It's working out well. The run is 1/2 grass and 1/2 sand. I have a litter box scooper also, works great!

Our coop/run is inside the barn, with a dirt floor. Inside the hen house, I have shavings, but inside the run that is inside the barn, which is where most of them roost, there is dirt. I smiply rake it out once a week. It isn't messy and it isn't smelly.

My guineas coop is a dirt floor, but not by choice. I add hay all the time. They move all the hay because they prefer dirt. So now when I am leaving them locked in their coop- like if I go out of town--- I add a bunch of hay to help with the smell but usually they only sleep in their coop. The dirt never appears to be poop filled. Just gets a little smelly if they spend a few days locked up.

Back
Top Bottom