Bare Dirt Floor??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Cookie's_Clucks, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Cookie's_Clucks

Cookie's_Clucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Little ol' Idaho
    The floor in my coop is just dirt right now, do I need to put something else such as shavings/straw etc?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes. Either is fine. Straw can be messy but my girls prefer it over shavings. In reality, just about everything is in there right now. Leaves, pine needles, shavings, straw, whatever I have on hand. The bare floor will get messed up fast and nasty.

3. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Yes, you'll want something to aid in cleanup and keep the smell down. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a floor composed entirely of poop!

4. stoneeater

stoneeater Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2011
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Mine's dirt.
    My chickens seem happy.
    There is no smell (in a coop with no walls, wire only)
    I own litter scoopers.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  5. creekrats

creekrats Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Mine is bare dirt. About every three weeks to month we just go out with a rake and rake it out. And it doesn't smell bad. (I just made the comment last night to my husband that it was time to clean the coop again.)

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I find pelleted bedding (compacted sawdust in pellet form) to work great on dirt floors.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It's up to you. I have a concrete floor in the coop and I use pine shavings. It's working out well. The run is 1/2 grass and 1/2 sand. I have a litter box scooper also, works great!

8. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Our coop/run is inside the barn, with a dirt floor. Inside the hen house, I have shavings, but inside the run that is inside the barn, which is where most of them roost, there is dirt. I smiply rake it out once a week. It isn't messy and it isn't smelly.

9. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    My guineas coop is a dirt floor, but not by choice. I add hay all the time. They move all the hay because they prefer dirt. So now when I am leaving them locked in their coop- like if I go out of town--- I add a bunch of hay to help with the smell but usually they only sleep in their coop. The dirt never appears to be poop filled. Just gets a little smelly if they spend a few days locked up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by