Bare, Messy, and Gross Bottoms! Please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MTMom, Aug 13, 2014.

1. MTMom

MTMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    I apologize in advance for the yucky photos below, but I am pretty desperate for help for my poor hens. I have about 28 in my flock. 17 of them are White Leghorns, and the rest are a mixture of White Rocks, Black Stars and Delawares. This problem seems to be mostly with the White Leghorns and White Rocks and only about half of those. My White Leghorns are about 18 months old and the rest of my flock is about 3 1/2 years old. The photo is pretty self explanatory of what I am seeing for about the past 6 months. Other than the messy behinds, they seem to act very normal, eat/ drink normal, normal energy. As for laying, it's hard to say since they spend about half their time free range.

The first thing I tried when we just had some bare bottoms, and not the nasty looking skin was a few drops of Ivomectin on their skin at the base of the neck. I repeated this 2-3 weeks later. Since that didn't clear up the problem, I dusted each and every one of them for mites with DE. Since that still didn't work, I ran across an article that said it may be thrush, or vent gleet. So, I followed those directions by adding epson salt, apple cider vinegar with the 'mother' and some probiotics to their water and let them drink only that for 24 hours (they drank all 7 gallons!). Followed that by lots and lots of fresh water. I have also moved their feed to inside the coop so it stays perfectly dry at all times.

Like I said, this has been going on now for about 6 months and not getting any better. :(

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! =)

[​IMG]

2. Have you looked for mites or lice?

3. MTMom

MTMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Yes, when I dusted each of them with the DE. I didn't see any, but a couple of my hens had slimy, wet, stinky tan stuff on the feathers on their bellies. Could that be from mites/lice or is it something else?

4. I am not sure. Perhaps it is an aggressive form of vent gleet. I hope some else who had experienced this can help you out. I have not seen lice or mites cause the liquid discharge you have shown.

5. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2014
    maryland
    Does the vent look like it protrude out? If so you have a blow out /prolapse.

6. MTMom

MTMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Good thinking, but I don't see anything on any of their vents that looks like a prolapse. I'm pretty confident that most of them are even still laying eggs.

7. I've been trying to figure what I would do with these pullets. Perhaps a good coating of Bluecote will help here. Not totally sure but I would try it.

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    No their bottoms are not normal. And no you did not cause this. And yes chickens do need to be cared for past two weeks. Vent gleet is very sticky and has a sickly sweet smell. If it is then you will want to look at some more posts about vent gleet perhaps using monistat. Is it possible to get their poo tested for worms?

1 person likes this.
  9. MTMom

MTMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    Thank you for the input. I do agree that less is usually more when treating animals. The above treatments I administered occurred within about a month of first noticing the problem. I haven't done anything more for the past 4-5 months hoping they may just get better on their own. Unfortunately they aren't getting better but worse. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by