bare neck??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by criddle76, Jan 5, 2013.

1. criddle76

criddle76 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    so ive noticed the last few days that theres a good bit of feathers in the coop and my new hampshire hen seems to be the one losing so this morning she looks rough all the feathers on her neck look lik there falling off.. what could be causing this?? im worried sick its been extra cold theres no heat but also no draft we have the enire coop & yard covered with plastic to keep them out of the wind. can someone please give me some insight??

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    She may be moulting ( which is normal ) does she have "pin feathers" i.e. what looks like pins sticking out from her neck? If so, she will be experiencing a moult...some of mine have just been moulting despite the cold weather conditions - this is very unusual here as normally they moult in the Autumn,

Suzie

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    x2
    Chickens start loosing feathers on their neck first. It could also be from a rooster mating. He holds on to their neck and it usually pulls out feathers.

4. criddle76

May 7, 2012
    yes yes yes youve described her to a t!! oh i feel so much better thank you.. should i be concerned about her being to cold?

5. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    No she will snuggle with the others.

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You can give her some scrambled egg or tuna fish to help her... she will be fine despite the cold weather - it has be bitterly cold here and none of my girls have been ill despite the fact that they have lost so many feathers!

Good luck!

Suzie

7. criddle76

May 7, 2012
    Suzie thank you so much you made me feel so much better!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by