Bare rear end on my Isa Brown chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carmelmaria, Mar 4, 2012.

1. carmelmaria

carmelmaria New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Mu ISa Brown chicken Shirley has a number of feathers missing near her rean end, also looks as if she has had some diahhrea. She is eating ok but somehow looks a bit scrawny. I only have two chickens and the other is fine. Any idea what is wrong. A while back she was laying soft shelled eggs but that seems to be ok now that I upped the grit in their feed. I would appreciate help please

2. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    So, she's laying normal eggs on a regular basis? If no, I'd wonder if she's blocked. If yes, have you wormed them? How many treats do they get? Sometimes the messy poo is the cause for the feathers disappearing, so if we regulate the poo issue then her feathers should come back...

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Usually if there is feathers missing from this area it could be a sign of mites/lice. You will have to look very closely for this. If she has this you will need to treat everyone. Sevon dust works good for this but you will also need to dust where they sleep. Worms could be the cause of weight loss but worms do not cause feather loss. How old is this hen? Is it possible she is going through a molt? Grit is used only for food digestion not for egg laying. Oyster shells are used to strengthen egg shells.

4. carmelmaria

carmelmaria New Egg

Mar 4, 2012
    Thanks for your reply. Both the girls seems happy and are eating well, maybe Shirley is moulting. When I bought them the owner told me they were 20 months so they are now 2.6 years old. I will definately worm them today. Is there any special feed they should have? I give them most things except chicken of course. Sometimes I sprinkle a little vit c powder on their food, do you think this would hurt them? Dont do it every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by