Bare RED belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by erlibrd, Nov 20, 2010.

1. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    My hen Penny has a bare belly probley for a couple weeks but I just noticed how bad it looks today when we picked her up to see why she was limping.... found a callous on her foot pad, I don't know if a small pebble got stuck and a callous formed around it but I picked it off and now she has a small wound so I put some skin adhesive on the area... anyway we got a good look at her belly and the feathers are gone and the belly is very red and very warm. Otherwise she is an excellent layer, 19 months old. The weather is really getting cold so I hope her feathers grow back soon!! Anyone know why she would lose belly feathers, do they ever have a partial moult?? I've heard when they go broody they will pull their own belly feathers out but she hasn't been broody from what I have read about it. Also wouldn't they only go broody in the spring?
    I carried her into the coop because now her foot could be extra sensitive to the cold ground.

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Take a look at my thread on bumblefoot and see if that's what she has on her foot:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

If her foot is so sore she's not walking on it and is laying around a lot that could explain the bare belly especially if she's laying in a damp area. But, limping and a "callous" on her foot sounds like bumblefoot which can be "fixed".

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. Pene and Frida

Pene and Frida Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    I have just added a link asking the same question, although our new chicken we got today isn't limping. We didn't notice till we got home that she had no feathers on her behind/tummy and it looked red and swollen. We gave her a warm bath just so her belly was covered in water and then looked at it. We are hoping just a clean will help, and some free-range activity. Some say if a chicken is having trouble laying eggs these symptoms arise, or if they having trouble going toilet. Hope your chook gets better soon!

4. erlibrd

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Thank You Ruth, that may be what she has but not as bad, I didn't notice any swelling and was able to pick out the 'scab' with my fingernail. I wonder if it will retun since I didn't soak it and squeeze out the stuff? I will keep a eye on her. Thanks again:)

5. erlibrd

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Pene and Frida, My girl is laying very well, more eggs from her than the others. And haven't noticed any potty problems.
    My hens get to free-range but that is going to come to an end soon because of the snow [​IMG]
    I hope yours gets better soon also!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by