1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bare shoulders? Picking hens or mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by divelli2011, Aug 18, 2011.

1. divelli2011

divelli2011 New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    Hello!

I have a small flock of five hens (no roo) and one of my girls has never had a lot of feathers on her back, it seems like the other ones "mount" her often. Since several weeks, she has been losing feathers on her shoulders and it has been looking quite painful. I can see little stubbles where the feathers are supposed to grow out but they look like they are being nibbled off. I am not sure if I might have a mite/ lice infection or if it is an issue where the other girls are at fault... I am worried since our winters in Colorado get cold and she needs to start growing a nice set of feathers back soon. I bought a fancy chicken apron but besides her freaking out, it didn't do any good! What do you think? Separate her in a kennel until it grows back? Any medications? How do I know whether I have a mite/ lice infestation? I put Blu-Kote on her a couple weeks ago but I don't think it does anything good...

Thank you!

2. divelli2011

divelli2011 New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

That is a picture of Tina's back and awful looking shoulders [​IMG] The blue is from the Blu-Kote I put on her. I also scheduled an appoitment with the vet tomorrow morning [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by