bare spot on back of neck

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ausamerican33, Aug 14, 2008.

1. ausamerican33

ausamerican33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    So one of my little chicklets has a bare spot on the back of her neck - about the size of a nickel. It looks like it's gotten worse. She is the only one with it. I haven't seen anyone else pecking at her.... does anyone have any idea what it is? Or what I should do? Should I put a bit of neosporin on it? I'm worried!!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Got any naked neck blood in it?

3. ausamerican33

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    No, I don't think so. Just pink skin. Otherwise, the chick seems happy and healthy. They came from McMurray hatchery, and I had them vaccinated, so they are on unmedicated feed.

4. ausamerican33

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    There is a little bit of brown - maybe dried blood? I got a flashlight out and looked very carefully - I didn't see any mites or lice.... not that I've ever seen any before, but I didn't see anything moving at all. I checked 3 other chicks too - and didn't see anything. Should I treat them all for mites as a precautionary measure? Sevin powder? My poor little chicky babe!!

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Naked necks are a breed that doesn't have feathers on their necks, much like a turkey.
    Thats what Mahonri was asking, If there was naked neck blood (breeding heritage) in it.

6. ausamerican33

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    Oh. My bad. [​IMG] The chick in question is a White Rock.

7. ausamerican33

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    So, dummy me - they are vaccinated against Mereks, not cocciodiosis (not spelled right!). So I went and got them medicated feed. I talked to the guy at Agrisupply - he said it sounds like she is getting pecked. So, I've taken his suggestion, and put her in isolation. A cat carrier next to my dog cage brooder. She doesn't look very happy about it, but the guy said she might get pecked to death otherwise. I'll put some neosporin on her neck when she settles. Does this sound like I'm on the right path, or way off base? They'll be moving to their "grown up" coop tomorrow, but I'll still keep my lil chicklet in isolation, in the coop, until she heals. She'll get a big dog crate, though. [​IMG]

8. soulman232

soulman232 New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    Charlotte NC
    I have the exact same issue with young Easter egger. She is about 4 weeks old and lost her down but no feathers came in, just on back of neck. She seems healthy otherwise. Her cell mates are another Easter egger ( she is huge) and a pair of partridge Cochins. I have not noticed anybody pecking on her? The skin is very pink/red. The chicks came from mypetchicken.com. I have been putting neosporin on it for a few days. But I can't say that it is getting any better? Could the brooder lamp be aggrevating the situation? Sunburn? I will check for lice in the morning and post a picture.

9. soulman232

soulman232 New Egg

Dec 2, 2012
    Charlotte NC
    [​IMG]

Not the best picture but I think it gets the point across. She seems to be fairly preoccupied with it. Again I checked for critters, and unless they are not visable to the naked eye, I didn't see anything.

10. chiqita

chiqita Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2011
    San Jose, Ca
    I'd cover it in blue kote or something to make it less red before you put her back in wiht anyone. Even if they were not pecking at her before, they will find that area interesting looking wiht pink skin and peck now.
    I'd guess she was getting pecked, but I don't see any blood either so its hard to know. Can you put one of her docile litter mates ( or whatever you call chick friends) in wiht her after its covered and see if 2 of them are ok together? they will be happier with 2 then one on its own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by