Bare spots on CX

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Amandakae, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Amandakae

Amandakae Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2015
    Hi, can you tell me if my checks look normal? I can't tell if their bare spots are from feathers falling out or feathers not growing in fast Enough [​IMG]

2. Amandakae

Feb 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]CX chicks feather in slowly and normally have raw bellies and bums at that stage. Keep them DRY and out of their own poop bombs.

On one of your chicks though, it appears that it may have been pecked by another bird.
    CX's are very docile in nature and due to that, they can easily become targets.
    I found out the hard way that I could not raise my meaties in the same area as my layer pullets. Even though they all ate the same starter feed at that point, the layers pecked their little bums raw and bloody.
    I was a novice at raising meat birds then-- shame on me for allowing that to happen to them.
    After cleaning them up and separating them to their own coop/run, they eventually grew back those feathers-- in the end they were BEAUTIFUL birds. Good luck to you!

4. Amandakae

Feb 12, 2015
    Okay, thank you! I had been feeling that way about keeping them dry but my husband didn't believe me, so I'm glad you said that! I can figure out a better feeding routine as well :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by