Bare Spots on the back near tail Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SteveBaz, Oct 15, 2011.

1. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I just bought 4 more chicks to replace the girls I just lost. I liked 2 birds in spite of the medical attention they needed. 1 of the girls is a EE and she has been picked on and the feathers have been pulled out of her back and near the tail feathers to a point they put the purple medicine on her to heal and protect her from the pecking. Then I have a Black Star with the same issues.

My questions are,
    Will the feathers fill back in properly or do you think it was damaged and will not return?
    When this happen does it mean they are weak birds. Survival of the fittest per say?
    They are both very nervous birds compared to the others and hopefully with love patients and time they will settle down, you think?
    Any other issues that may follow because of this you think?

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Are you sure the feathers were pulled? Bare areas just above the tail are often from being loved too much by a rooster while picking is more likely to be the tail itself that is plucked... Either way, yes, they will grow back eventually provided the skin isn't scarred too badly and the source of the bare spot is remedied. If there is nothing left of the feathers (no broken feather shafts sticking out), they'll regrow faster than if there are stumps which would need to be molted first.

OH, and growing feathers have a bright red blood source so watch for picking while the spot fills in.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    No there are little bits sticking out like little pins around the purple medicine they put on. I bought the birds for 2 reasons I thought they were beautiful and felt that I could get them away from the big girls in the coop she was in and get them away from the hens and pullets she was with. The Sex Link and I am not sure if she is in molt too plus she has a bare spot but with quills sticking out. in 2 1/2 days I have not been able to really handle them to see what really going on. The EE is extremely skittish for all the beatings I think she has had on the back and being picked on. In her little group she is fine but when my older bird Blondie 10 weeks runs at them she is very touchy. The others scatter and she jumps straight up in the air with feet moving ready to race and she is the first to the corner behind them all [​IMG] hiding. I think she might come around but not in 3 days. You can see the blank spot a bit from this picture.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  4. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Well its been about a week or more since the slaughter of my flock and we replaced them since with 4 girls [​IMG] and 2 of the 4 girls were damaged a bit with bare spots all around the tail back and 1 behind a wing. The idea was they would heal bc Ana and Streak the Black Star had Blue-Kote sprayed all over there tail, back and under the wing. She was given to me by the way bc first off she was very pretty and 2nd I felt sorry for her but in spite of the damage and the big girls in the same cage as her chasing the poor thing. You would think they would separate her from the flock that's hurting her especially in a store with staff. They had the room and just to make a point asked I for the manager and said that to her about protecting the hurt chick and she apologized with the store being busy and a new staff to train and this and that. So I said you should bring them over her and show them before I buy her and this Star home. So she brought the staff of 6 and we pointed out was we have to do a more humane job and use the common sense we have. If a bird is hurting others separate them will ya!! So the manager Jill gave me the Black Star and EE free. Nice of her. I wonder if she felt guilty or embarrassed?

They are healing well with new pins and quills poking out each day and sure the feather casings will break and will there be feathers or fluff I wonder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by