bare wing feathers

our12

Hatching
Jun 17, 2017
Our RIR never grew back proper feathers after molting this spring. The others in the flock are fine and regrew a fine fluffy "coat" . Anyone have any ideas? She's in good spirits, 2 yrs.old and the lack of feathers seems to only concern me. Thanks for any helpful ideas.

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
Hello and welcome. Generally a full body molt is done in the fall. When did she start molting? How old is she? What are you feeding? Has she resumed laying?

our12

Hatching
Jun 17, 2017
The girls get layer mash from the feed mill, oyster shell and yogurt almost daily. They free range during the day. Little Red is 2 yrs. old and as far as we know laying. Thank you - we lost her RIR sister today from being egg bound. it's not a good day. I break for squirrels and mice.

oldhenlikesdogs

Grateful
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
Could help to put them on a higher protein feed. Growing feathers requires a lot of protein. I've never experienced a bird not growing in all the feathers though. Sorry about losing your other one. Sometimes troubles come in groups.

I wish those squirrels would pick a side of the road an commit to it. It's the indecision that gets me.:hmm

Top Bottom