bareback advice needed for new pullets

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by UNCLEG, Sep 18, 2011.

1. UNCLEG

UNCLEG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    yesterday I picked up some pullets from feed store, Rocks and EE. 2 of the EEs have barebacks, i did not really want bareback birds but most of the EE were Bareback< so i took them. Anyway what should i do to help them recover fom the barebacks quickly? So far all i have done is feed a mixture of feed and cat food. My other flock is moulting so I have it premixed. I thought the extra protien would help with feather regrowth.

Please advise...I have never dealt with barebacks before.

2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    The feathers will grow back. You just want to make sure that there are not red areas that your hens will peck at - you can try a saddle (which will also protect her if she gets mounted by your roos), BluKote (just spray it on) or Rooster Booster. Good luck!

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    all mine have started growing their backs out also. I am taking a break from having rooster and kicked the male duck out of the chicken yard. Its done wonders. Just be patient. I also have some aprons for those who are most heavily targeted by the others. They are pretty simple to stitch up. I have no domestic skills and even managed to whip them up.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I bought some bareback hens too and the feathers are coming back nicely. They should recover well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by