Bareback chick

tdy123

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2020
Not like it sounds. I have six female chicks of different varieties shipped in the same box from a breeder. They've been together since the day they hatched, which was 18 days ago. My brooder box is 23"H x 20"W x 48"L with an overhead light and an Ecoglow brooder plate. I bought a red brooder lamp but haven't needed to use it. My concern is over a chick that, at least to me, seemed to be pretty high in the pecking order. She has a reddened bare patch along her spine that I just noticed today. If I had to guess, she's either plucking her feathers or being pecked.

I've read that chickens are attracted to red and that can lead to cannibalism. I've read both arguments for separating them and for keeping them together until the pecking order is established.

I've turned off the white overhead light in favor of natural light; They love their jungle gym so I'm adding a mirror and a food ball to prevent boredom. I filled the feeder to the top instead of adding a little 3-4 times a day.

I'll write back in a couple of days after I've had the chance to observe them with the changes. In the interim, I'm attaching a pic of the wounded chick in case anyone has advice on how to treat her (Veterimycin?).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Tina
chick pic.jpg

Picking in chicks is generally from boredom. At their age they can go outside in a secure pen during the day at least to help burn off excess energy. I would spray that spot with some bluekote.

It looks like your other chicks have been pecking at her while she was laying down. I seen one of mine do it to another chick for several days. You probably should put them outside there old enough and it would be more space vs. the brooder, it would be great for them.

Back
Top Bottom