Bareback Hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cmsutton864, Mar 9, 2012.

1. cmsutton864

cmsutton864 New Egg

Feb 8, 2012
    Central Alabama
    I have 29 hens and 2 roosters. These are all the same age, going on 9 months. I'm getting lots of eggs about 17-20 per day on average. All of my chickens seem healthy. However, most all of the hens have bare backs. At first I thought it may be molt. What age do they start molting? or would it be rooster damage? My henhouse is 12'x16'x8' and my chicken yard is 35'x45'. I don't think its stress caused by limited space or poor diet. If anyone has any idea of what I can do, please let me know.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    If they are still laying well, it is unlikely molt. You would be amazed at the damage roosters can do to the hens. If it is bothersome, you can buy the hen jackets on ebay (or make your own). It is basically a little protective flap jacket that prevents the roosters from treading the hens backs. You may also want to check for parasites as there are a few that can affect the feather follicles.

3. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Mine hens are getting that way, also. It seemed that the general opinion, in my case, is that my rooster is to blame - although it may not be what's going on with yours. I have 21 hens and one rooster and they're all 11 months. Aprons are one idea to protect their backs. Another is to separate the rooster.

Hopefully, someone more experienced with help out! [​IMG]

4. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Most roosters have favorite hens that they like to mate with.
    And when they do it tears there feathers, causing them to become bald. The roosters can sometimes really hurt the hens.
    I once had to put sunscreen on their shoulders it was so bad.

If you PM lovemychix she can sell you hen saddles which will protect the hens backs from the mating roosters.
    They work really well for me.

If they are only 9 months old then they arn't molting.They molt when their a year old

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  5. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    That's where I purchased the aprons and they're very nice! Great quality and very reasonably priced. :)

6. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    I have hens with bare backs also.whats so weird is 3 that have never lost feathers are 3 years old. My girls that are a year old some are losing feathers. I have put saddles on them but it still happens. I checked for bugs and saw nothing. I culled one of the Roos hoping that would help. The feathers don't seem to ever grow back. I'm really frustrated and can't figure what is going on. Roo damage? I feed 22 % lay pellets and sunflower seeds for treats so I don't think it is diet. Sure wish somebody would come up with an answer. Why aren't they all going naked!!!

7. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I don't know this as a fact, but an experienced chicken keeper told me that you can see which hens are more dominant because they'll still have their feathers. They won't let the rooster mate them. I had noticed that one of the girls in this barebacked group has all of her beautiful feathers. Interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by