Barebacked Girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JodyJo, Jul 25, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have a friend who has say, 30 pullets, and only 1 roo. This doesn't bother him, we gave him a gorgeous Australorp roo last year, but he died mysteriously.
    My question is: are there particular pullets the roosters prefer?

I was visiting him the other day and heard what I thought was "egg song" from the coop so went to see...he had 3 pullets in there nesting, all 3 had completely skinned backs...it was gross, all without feathers. I knew it was/is from the rooster, but none of the other girls were like this...I personally think he needs to isolate those girls till they recover, or get a new rooster? They are BO about 1-2 yrs old.

Ideas from anyone? Like I said, not my chickens, but if it happens to me, I want to know what everyone else thinks?

2. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Oh, yes...roosters pick their favorites. Often times it is someone lower on the pecking order that will submit to him. [​IMG] That can be a problem. Certain breeds of roosters are worse about picking favorites. If the rooster is picking favorites out of 30 pullets, I would say get rid of him and get a different breed for sure!

3. LunarRayne

LunarRayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    SW Arkansas
    My MIL had 3 hens and 1 rooster. When they got old enough to lay, he chased 2 away. When they would not leave he attacked and killed them. He is now in my flock. I have other roosters so he is leaving my hens alone. He refuses to mate with any hen that is not his wife. He will only mate with 1 hen and she runs from all the roosters except her husband. No joke they have mated for life.

My point is, sometimes they want a few and pick their favorites and will leave the others alone. I have a rooster that did. his wife is barebacked from all the mating. I am actually keeping them separate for the most of the day to give her a break. It is definitely helping her feathers come back, just not as quickly as I had hoped.

I think the hens will be fine, but I would separate them for at least part of the day. It will give them a break and help with the feathers too. Good Luck!

4. Schrebergaertner

Schrebergaertner Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Barebacked hens could also be from other hens picking on them. We have no rooster and several of our hens have different levels of bare patches on their backs.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:these are COMPLETELY stripped of feathers, and not just a few....all the way from head to tail and side to side...

Again, these are NOT my hens....just wanted to know if I was correct in the way it should be dealt with.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Yes some males will prefer to mate with certain females and completely wear the feathers off of their backs. Some people use chicken saddles to prevent this.

7. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Get 'em saddles!

8. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    please post a link to chicken saddles, I have got to see this! yeeeeeeee hawwwwww.....

9. TarainNC

TarainNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2011
    I had a a RIR and his favorites were my two smaller easter eggers. One was bald and the other I found with puncture wounds. I had to find him another home. It has been quite a few weeks and my light colored EE has grown her feathers back. My dark EE was a very sick bird for awhile. I had to separate her, give her lots of TLC, antibiotics, and she is finally getting better. It was so bad that both stopped laying. One has resumed laying and I am trying to fatten the other up so she will start laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by