Barebacked hen with colder weather approaching

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by magilarilla, Sep 8, 2010.

1. magilarilla

magilarilla New Egg

May 9, 2010
    WI/MN border
    I have a sweet Australorp hen who came to me missing the feathers on her back from being put into a breeding situation with a rooster (one-on-one). From what I read, I really thought they would've come back completely by now. She is going into a moult and does have a few feathers coming in here and there on her back, but I'm starting to wonder if I should be doing anything since cooler weather is coming to Wisconsin now. We free range here with roosters so she is still being mated, but nowhere near what I'm assuming she encountered prior to coming here. She's the top hen in my flock right now and for the most part only accepts the attention from the dominant rooster. So I guess my question is what (if anything) I should do. Will she have her feathers back by winter? Do I need to pull out my sewing machine and create a saddle for her?

2. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Hmm, if you already see feathers coming in, I think she should be feathered in before it gets real cold. My younger hens seem to get the new feathers in very fast.

She is away from the situation that crated the bare back right?

You can feed her some extra protein to help her grow the feathers.

3. magilarilla

magilarilla New Egg

May 9, 2010
    WI/MN border
    Yup, she's away from the situation (it was at the home prior to mine). Like I said, she's a sweet girl with people, but fairly dominant with the flock. Maybe I'll make a point to give her more high protein treats by hand. <---that sounds like a win-win to me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by