1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barheaded Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by amazonman, Dec 6, 2011.

1. amazonman

amazonman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    Thinking about purchasing a pair, any advice on keeping them from members who has them? Noise level, friendly, food requirements, do i need a pond for them, thanks.

2. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I feed mine regular duck pellets with a little whole corn. They seem to be a little bit timid at feeding time. As for noise I haven't had them during the breeding season, but they don't seem to "talk" very much. I would suggest a pond big enough for them to breed in at the very least.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I keep them in with the other geese, on a natural pond and they are doing very well.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  3. amazonman

amazonman Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    Wow nice pictures, they look great. Size wise they are not very big are they? Are they pinion?

4. mckenzie

mckenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Douglas, GA
    I've been wanting some too but not many places have them for sale.

5. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Those are from my phone so they could be worse I guess lol, yes they are pinioned, and The reason they look so small is because in the first pic they are next to a giant gander, and in the second pic the barnacle gander is about 6 ft closer to me up hill. All in all they are a nice size goose, a little bigger then my snow geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by