Barking Dog training...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wolfwoman, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I have eight dogs... they all (of course) bark at one time or another, or for this is that, MAINLY when something is about that doesn't need to be. I know alert barks, and play barks, and dinnertime barks, etc etc.

HOWEVER, I have one pup (6 years old) that is starting to bark TOO MUCH... for no reason most of the time. It's never at night, always during the day. She did this once before a couple years ago, I was in the process of rearranging kennels and it stopped. Not moving kennels again....lol

So, suggestions? I won't tell what I've tried....yet [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I use an anti-barking collar on my yappy dogs-only at night when the barking is disrupting my sleep.

3. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Try everything, then get the collar, LOL.

4. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Collar doesn't work. Tried it.

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    One thing trainers suggest is to get the dog to bark ON COMMAND. Give a treat when it "speaks",. Over and over. Then say, "Quiet", or, "enough" while the dog is quiet, and give a treat for that. Go back and forth, between "speak" and "quiet". Eventually, the dog is supposed to learn the difference. Good luck - I know how annoying that can be!

6. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Hmm... now there's something I haven't tried... might have to give that one a go!

7. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    No one else?

8. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    I'm going to try that with my little Reepicheep. Hope it works. I'll let you know.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by