barley????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 1shotcleaner, Jan 21, 2012.

1. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    hi everyone haven't ben here in awhile but i will be here more often now. I'm wondering if any one has info on feeding barley? i have herd about sprouting it. or just feeding it naturally as a grain. I'm wondering if it needs to be ground or crushed to get more nutrients out of it , or is sprouting it the best way?

2. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I feed it as part of my scratch rolled, it looks like oatmeal, the chickens love it.

3. 1shotcleaner

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    do you buy it rolled or do you do it yourself?

4. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    We grow our own oats and barley, and have a roller, so we do it ourselfs but I think you could ask your mill to roll or crack it for you. We also roll the oats.

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
  6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Poultry, particularly growing chickens, are sensitive to the beta-glucans in barley. Beta-glucans form gels in the digestive tract of birds that are not broken down because of the lack of appropriate enzymes and the rapid rate of passage in poultry. Without addition of beta-glucanases to the feed, barley-based diets have been associated with reduced levels of available energy and with wet droppings, pasty vents, and wet litter.

If it was me I would keep the amount of Barley to a minimum if I would give it to them at all.

Chris

7. 1shotcleaner

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    thankyou for the info and thred

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

See my BYC page if you wish- I do have barley in my mix. I have read about sticky droppings if you use too much, so I fed a little in my mix and it's fine.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by