Barn burned down - lost all our hens, need help with value

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by daytonfarm, Jan 18, 2010.

1. daytonfarm

daytonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Maryland
    We lost all our hens(18) wed night in a barn fire. Most of the hens were purchased as chicks from hatcheries in April 09 and my son took them to the fair this past summer. The austrolorps won champion, the wyandottes won champion and reserve, non of them got below a third. How should I put a value on them for insurance purposes. Any ideas?

2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Replacement cost.

3. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    I don't have answers for you, but wanted to say sorry for your loss ...

[​IMG] to your son.

4. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I would do how much it would cost presently to buy them from the same hatchery.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Replacement cost, based on the age of the chooks. Saying you can replace them for $1.50 undervalues your animal, but saying you can sell the champion for $50 would raise eyebrows. So if laying hens in your area are $10-15, then use the inbetween number of $12.50.

OR- you can call a few insurance carriers and ask their advice. It is best not to draw the audit.

SOrry about your loss.

6. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    [​IMG] I would go with what LareePQG said.

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Well... check with your insurance agency first because I know mine doesn't insure poultry... period. If I have livestock no problem... poultry no.

8. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I would look for other local breeders who have a similar quality and ask how much it would be to buy some off them.

9. daytonfarm

daytonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Maryland
    While he was at the fair he sold a pullet for $20, and she only placed 2nd. But it was one of those in the moment deals, where the kid wanted the prettiest chicken and I said $20 and they bought her. It was a buttercup. Do you think the insurance company would really checkup? All these girls had names and were really pets, do you think that would increase the price?

Carolyn

10. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    No, they would not increase the price. If anything, it would lower it. Poultry (or livestock) for food is an asset: a necessary cost of living. Poultry as pets is a luxury and an insurance liability: similar to why your homeowner's insurance goes up if you have pits, akitas, dobermans, or any type of "dangerous" pet. NOT that those pets are dangerous, just that the insurance company has statistics associated with those catagories with animals. For example- people who do not keep livestock, do not file insurance claims for animals lost in a barn fire.

SO: go with REPLACEMENT COST. Again, this is not what you could sell them for. Possible sale price is highly variable and dependant on the buyer, which is never gauranteed. But, you can be sure what you WILL pay to get new chooks. That cost is measurable and can be accurately documented via feed stores, with reciepts, from hatcheries, etc.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by