Barn Cats eating my Chicken eggs

lzufelt

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2015
Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone,

I have three barn cats that have stuck around and I feed every day twice a day. They are great mousers and I have no issues with keeping them for as long as they want to stay BUT I believe they are eating my chicken eggs, which is not okay.

My 11 girls have slowed down their egg production as the days are short and I do not supplement light source for them. Last week I had collected 7 eggs and one off the top fell and broke on the floor. The cats sniffed around and as I finished up chores the three cats enjoyed a fresh egg. I didn't think anything else of it until yesterday when I did not find a single egg. I let the chickens free range and sometimes I can't find an egg if its in a dark spot. This morning I went out and did another check and couldn't find a single egg from the day before (very frustrating) but I saw one of my girls make a nest and lay her egg, finishing with her song. Tonight I went to collect my eggs and there were none!!!! Not a single egg! Not even the one that I saw being laid.

I noticed a couple of home made nests but no eggs!

What can I do to deter my cats from eating the eggs?

rockriver

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2015
Try to drain an egg dry and put mustard in it or somthing nasty then leave it out for them to eat

Last edited:

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Mustard just makes a mess most the time.

I'd make sure it's your cats that are eating the eggs.
Are the shells left? I don't think cats would eat the shells..but chickens would.
Are you finding a mess? Usually even chickens can't eat all the egg off the surface and a wet mess will remain.

If you are free ranging there's a good chance they are laying somewhere out in the range area.
Coop the birds up for a few days, and check for eggs often.
This will habituate them to using the coop nests again.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Top Bottom