1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barn coop... lets build this thing!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lahti35, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Lahti35

Lahti35 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2015
    Mid Michigan
    We got back to the country last fall and are ready to give this chicken thing a go... they'll be here in 4 weeks so its time to get crackin'.

The property includes a barn that was moved there about 1910. The coop will go in a corner of that barn with a run on the opposite side of the wall. A friend of ours advised against putting it in the barn due to dust but not wanting to build a new building we chose to use the barn. Its got so many chinks between the boards anyway that there is plenty of air moving around and the coop will be right by the big back door that can open or close 5ft.

I got the hole cut in the barn and the door installed yesterday. Looks like its always been there on the inside... even already has poop on it from the birds in the rafters!

The coop will be 7' x 15' and the run will be 20" x 20"... we plan to have 16 chickens to start but by this fall we won't have that many... burp!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    due to the dust? your friend never been around chickens much? [​IMG]

they'll do fine there

3. Lahti35

Mar 17, 2015
    Mid Michigan
    Lol, she was talking about dust from keeping chickens getting all over stuff in the barn. Chickens wouldn't be very hardy if they couldn't take a little dust would they!

4. Lahti35

Mar 17, 2015
    Mid Michigan
    More work on the coop over the holiday weekend... its starting to come together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    looking very good! love it!

just tell her the more dusty the chickens are, the more flavor the eggs have. Besides, they're gonna spend most of their time outside

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The chickens can handle the dust...but the whole inside of that barn will also be covered in dust.
    It's incredible....but hey, it's a barn right?

7. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    eggsactly! I don't recall ever going in grandpa's barn and everything NOT covered in dust. And their chickens weren't even close to it

8. henless

henless Chillin' With My Peeps

After having chickens for a year in my barn (it's a very open barn) there is dust everywhere! Way more dust than when I stored hay and 6 horses there.

I got my leaf blower out a couple weeks ago and dusted. I guess it's going to be an annual or biannual event.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Leaf Blower?!?! I'm thinking shop vac, with a new filter.

10. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    leaf blower?

BAHAHAHAHAHA

no "after" selfie? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by