Barn fire last night.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by boilerjoe_96, Jan 4, 2008.

1. boilerjoe_96

boilerjoe_96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2007
    West Lafayette, IN
    9 of my 10 chickens must have 9 lives.... the other must have 10....

I had a 3 alarm blaze in my barn last night. I do not think they needed 3 departments, but I am way out in the sticks and the tanker trucks were probably needed...

Anyway, wagon of hay caught fire, before fire department arrived, I was dashing in and out with fire extinguishers trying to put the fire out... I finally could not go back in, as the entire barn was filled with smoke...

It was a painfully long time for the fire engine to arrive(probably 10-15 minutes. Once they got there and had there hoses ready the fire was knocked down rather quickly, but was still smoldering and VERY smokey... One couldn't see 2 feet inside this 36X54 pole barn.

After spraying some water, then opening up the large door and pulling the JD4020 out and then pulling the burning hay wagon out it was discovered that all 10 chickens and all 4 turkeys survived!!

My hats off to the local volunteers who put the fire out or all would hav been lost.

Chickens spent the night in my garage and were released this morning.... All are doing well.... Thank goodness....

BTW the one with 10 lives was attacked by a Husky and received about 15 stiches a few months ago.....

2. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    wow! Your animals are sure lucky. Hope you'll be able to replace your barn.

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    So sorry to hear about your barn [​IMG] But Praise the Lord that your animals were okay. [​IMG]

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Thank God your birds were ok!

Any idea how the fire started? One of my coops is at the back of the hay shed, if there's something to be learned that might prevent a similar thing, please share. (Like the part about having fire extinguishers on hand... I definitely need to learn from that.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Whew! So glad you and your birds are okay!

6. OHChick

OHChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    my goodness, hard to believe a fire could be so big as cold as its been. (of course i say that remembering my dad's house burned down in January 26 yrs ago and it was like -10).

glad you and your critters are okay. [​IMG]

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Very lucky indeed!

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    YAY! When I saw the title I feared the worst. The great that no one was hurt

9. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    ur lucky

10. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    glad ur all ur birds made it. and the john deere

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by