Barn Inspired Urban Chicken Tractor

Jozi Neil

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2015
First off, a Thank you to all who have shared chicken tractor posts on this forum, I have drawn inspiration from many posts and have finally completed my urban chicken tractor.

I wanted the tractor to be functional, mobile and aesthetically pleasing. The idea is to be able to have 2 or 3 hens in the tractor.

I absolutely love the traditional red barn designs of North America, and this has been the inspiration for the build ...

As a DIY addict there was no choice but to DIY the project and as an added challenge I decided to make it out of scrap and left overs from other projects.... the only things that i bought specifically for the project was the red paint and the chicken mesh.

1456484_591918637545898_1718715465_n.jpg

Front view - wheels are from an old lawnmower
20180105_103026.jpg

Dimensions are 1.5m x 1m

20180105_103052.jpg

The very top of the roof is hinged to allow for full access into the covered section
20180105_103117.jpg

The right hand side of the roof is also hinged for access
20180105_103101.jpg

Inside the covered section with nest box and trap door for egg collection (still a bit dusty from the workshop)

20180105_103143.jpg

Front access doors open

20180105_103205.jpg

Rear View

There are still some finishing touches required for additional perches, food and water but its 99% complete

Very cute but not very functional IMHO. The roost bar is a bit small. There are no vents at the top that I can see. Chickens need draft free ventilation in the winter. Chickens like to lay eggs in a dark place so most likely they will lay on the ground under the shelf. I'm guessing from photos that predators like dogs and such can't get in the yard. Reaching in from above is very scary to a chicken as they are hard wired to run from anything that moves from above. I can't tell exactly where the roost is but my guess is the shelf will be full of poop each morning. My poop boards are 16" wide and the pullets will poop near the edge while roosting.

Screenshot at 2018-01-12 05:15:03.png

Also add your location in your profile so folks know what weather you might have.

JT

Very cute but not very functional IMHO. The roost bar is a bit small. There are no vents at the top that I can see. Chickens need draft free ventilation in the winter. Chickens like to lay eggs in a dark place so most likely they will lay on the ground under the shelf. I'm guessing from photos that predators like dogs and such can't get in the yard. Reaching in from above is very scary to a chicken as they are hard wired to run from anything that moves from above. I can't tell exactly where the roost is but my guess is the shelf will be full of poop each morning. My poop boards are 16" wide and the pullets will poop near the edge while roosting.

View attachment 1233710

Also add your location in your profile so folks know what weather you might have.

JT

Hi JT, thanks for the comments

The roost bar is small but only intended for 2 to 3 hers, and as i mentioned i may add more if required. Although not clear in the images, The white capping to the roof has vents on both front and back, if this is not sufficient then my plan is to add additional vent holes at the back.

In terms of the shelf, i may convert that to a full box if the hens are not comfortable using it as is.

I agree that access from the top is not the best, this is why i have built the trap door on the side for egg collection and the other doors for feeding etc. The top is just so that there is access but not meant for daily use.

the roost and the ensuing poop is a concern, it is around a foot away (horizontally) from the shelf at the moment but easily moved if required, maybe there is a solution in building a nest box with the top doubling as a poop board....

I am based in Johannesburg, South Africa, we have hot summers and very mild winters (no snow and the odd day of frost now and again)

Again thanks for the comments

Back
Top Bottom