Barn lime and coughing chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snow5164, Mar 15, 2017.

1. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I am using barn lime that is supposed to be good for a stinky coop. Literally the week I sprinkled it in the coop I heard my first chicken sneeze then a cough in the two years I've had chickens ....they all got the sneezes and no other symptoms.

It was very cold here so no open doors or windows , I purchased the antiobiotic the feed store recommended, 7 days later they were a little better. Now 14 days later Everyone is fine except the last one to start sneezying is almost done .

Was it a coincidence that the week I used barn lime the sneezing started??It is really dusty stuff....I haven't used it since

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Any type of lime is very caustic and should be used with caution around chickens. Feet, throats, and eyes can be burned if used improperly. Every time I read about the different types of limes for sale, and what people say about them, I get really confused. I am pretty sure that we should read labels on lime sold in feed and garden stores, and that any containing magnesium should probably not be used in chicken coops. Pure calcium carbonate lime is the same as crushed oyster shell, but I can't seem to find that in a pure powder. Again read labels.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Interesting follow up to " barn lime",
    Owner of feed store called to tell me to stop using it in a coop , he's going to look into it but he said it's dustyness (?), might aggravate their lungs .

I know everyone has an opinion but he seemed concerned to call me himself . I asked him to get us sweet pdz in Canada please!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by