1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barn, organic, free or cage?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by joeydaone, Dec 21, 2008.

1. joeydaone

joeydaone New Egg

Dec 21, 2008
    Oregon
    So in a egg shell I guess I raise barn chickens. There for I have barn eggs? I have not been able to find a diffinitive answer on this. Maybe I am not looking hard enough?
    My flock has a large run(most the organic material has been eaten however they do get seasonal organics plus our scrap greens ext...) and a large coop with two large nesting boxes. I supplement there feed with hormone free layer feed. So to the best of my understanding I raise barn eggs. Can't be free range cause they are in a run. Can't be organic because I do not use pure organic feed. Obviously not cage do to the absence of a cage. SO must be barn. Anyone think different?

Ty, Joe.

Ps. Thank you Lord for heat lamps!

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    How high do you raise those hen eggs, Joeydaone? I seldom get the chickens above shoulder height, myself.

The eggs are on the bottom shelf in the refrigerator and I checked table and skillet on the stove - not over 36 inches at my place [​IMG].

Welcome to BYC!!

[​IMG] Steve

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Are you looking for a marketing hook? How about Cage-Cree? Or Eggs from Happy Hens Down on the Farm...

I take it you are looking to charge a premium for your eggs and want the customer to feel they are getting something extra. Was your feed actually sold to you as "Hormone Free"? I hope you didn't pay extra for it....

4. joeydaone

joeydaone New Egg

Dec 21, 2008
    Oregon
    I'm not to worried about marketing I have plenty of folks wanting eggs especially tis time of year. More or less just want to answer the questions some of my friends have as honest as possible. [​IMG]

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Just tell them that what you've told us, that they have a large coop and run and get good food and garden scraps. You don't need a two word description...

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    If they are fresh and local - I don't think you can get much better than that [​IMG].

"Organic" has a lot of strings attached. "Natural" doesn't mean much of anything.

"Farm Fresh" sounds good to me!

Steve

7. joeydaone

joeydaone New Egg

Dec 21, 2008
    Oregon
    Thank you. Sounds fine with me. [​IMG]

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Do they have access to outside of the barn onto grass? If so, you could use a couple other marketing terms.

As you've explained it, your eggs are natural, fresh and cage-free. Cage-free sells in my parts.

9. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    mine have access to their outdoor run but do not free range. they have more than enough room and get greens and corn in addition to regular feed. I call mine cage free, hand raised chickens.

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You can probably use "free range" under those circumstances. Most people would say "pasture raised" these days, though, so free range was historically misused.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by