Barn Reconstruction & Coop/Run pics...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noahsmom, Jan 22, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    So we are very slowly getting things done with our Barn, Just to recap we moved into this house in November, it has 16acres of land about 85% hill and a barn! We've done most of our reconstruction to the house we've wanted to do and now are moving to the barn. We are working on right side of the barn which will be the coop, The barn looks pretty rough but the bones of it seem to be solid! No roof leaks, just needs some hole patching, a little TLC and some paint!

We finally got around to measuring the coop and it is 11'x12' and we were planning to make the run go out the back of the barn but now have changed our minds. The Run will now be a 10'x16' out the front of the barn, for one we want to be able to look out of our house and see the chickens and two this gives them a flat run. The back of the barn is just straight hill and would have made it rather difficult to build on and we would have had to use more material to do so.

So here are some pics of the barn, inside of the untouched coop area, and where the run is going to go. Their will be 26.6 sq ft. per chicken since we are getting 6 and I figure this is plenty big enough.
    I almost feel like the barn itself is not going to be repairable the way I would like it to be, but I hope with a lot of TLC we can bring it back up to speed. On the other side of the barn we plan to house a few pygmy goats, they will have well over an acre of land to run around in...But one project at a time!! :) The barn is a lot bigger inside then it looks, the middle of the barn itself will pose as a storage area for feed and my Significant others "work shop" area.

(Please excuse the orange truck, it was here when we moved in and it is going to be moved shortly)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lilslinkfarm

Lilslinkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Jane, MO
    That will be a fun project, and a nice big coop to boot! So nice to already have an existing useable structure to work with!! Good luck [​IMG]

3. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Thanks we need it!
    Can someone tell me a little more about ventilation? This barn sort of sits at a base of a large hill, which means it doesnt stay Soggy per say but I do know it is more of a moist environment then I would personally like. I'm a little worried that because of this we may need more ventilation then the ordinary coop? Do you think adoor made out of hardware cloth would be a good idea? or allow to much cool air? We live in north eastern ky, so we get around 3 months of cooler weather.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You might want do some trenching or berming to divert the rainwater from coming down the hill and into the building.
    Ventilation needs some holes up as high as possible on the walls under the eaves for the moist air to exit the building and some holes down low for fresh air to come into the building. Is the barn floor dirt?

5. katoranger

katoranger Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Altamont, KS
    You could dig a trench and place some plastic tile around the backside to help with drainage. The tile is not very expensive, but digging the trench will be some work.

6. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    Thanks
    Yes the floor is dirt, we planned to leave it that way. The floor isn't overly wet/damp inside even with heavy rain. Would you recommend a wood floor?

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No, just was curious about what the floor was and what kind of damage the rain water might be causing to the foundation-if there is a foundation. It looks like the walls touch the ground and any dampness from rain water flooding or just wet ground will continue to degrade the wood walls. I would reccomend a thorough inspection of the structure before proceeding with housing any livestock in it.

It also plays into predator entry, might be right easy for a hungry animal to dig under the walls and get themselves a chicken dinner.

8. noahsmom

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    No I don't believe their is any type of foundation. But the plan is to completely seal in the walls and only create holes for ventilation and we are putting hardware cloth under the dirt to keep animals from coming into and or under the coop. It will definitely be in much better shape then what it is now. It needs quite a bit of work, I asked David in the first place if he thought we should just demolish and either buy a large building or build new, but he believes the building is useable. I believe the barn itself is at least 30years old, it certainly looks and feels solid but I'm new to this and not sure what to look for as far as strength and longevity goes. We've had his family which have owned a very large farm for years come and look at the barn and they feel it is useable as well with work. They plan to help us fix it back up. We plan to house Pygmy goats and chickens, no large live stock of any kind. Although I secretly want a donkey or pony... ;) but maybe some day.

9. katoranger

katoranger Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2012
    Altamont, KS
    I think it looks like it is worth putting time into.

10. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    [​IMG]
    With a little vision, anything is possible :) I found the hardest bit was geeing my other half on. I had to feed him tidbits of the vision. Too much at once and he'd get into a strop and say it wasn't possible. Well... it was possible, because we've built it how I fancied.
    Ours didn't have the wall issues you may have, but the roof was terrible. It leaked so badly. I found that with a good clean, it made the task seem much less daunting. You could sand the walls down, I think that'll reveal what's rotten and what's not.

A good roof and a good structure is half your work done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by