Barn Trouble (Horse People Please Post) -Update on Page 6-

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Tinted, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinted

Tinted Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    Kentucky
    The last hour was absolutely horrible, and I would love to tell everyone about it. I am a horse person. I own my own horse and am the only boarder at a small “redneck/country” barn. I have boarded there for a little over 4 years and have had small issues with the barn owner every once in a while but nothing major. Today he went too far. He has a habit of having days where he just wants to be right and take out everything on someone else, who always happens to be me. He is a 69 year old guy who has VERY different ideas of horse care, riding, and horse breeds than I do. I ALWAYS respect his way of doing things and riding, I may not agree but I nod and say “Yes Mr. X.” So basically I get over it, and move on. However Mr. X is always insulting me, my way of riding (English, he rides western), my horse (Anglo-Arabian), and most everything he can find to dig me about. For the most part I ignore it, or argue weakly which is NOT my personality (LOUD and OPINIATED) but I realize that you can’t argue with stupidity and ignorance and expect to win. Well today Mr. X started off talking about selling this one horse of his, a 2 year old paint filly that he has turned into a “Pocket Horse.” For those who don’t know what that is a “Pocket Horse” is the most dangerous type of horse IMO; they are a horse to does not respect personal space or boundaries due to lenient handling and lack of manners. I personally HATE this horse, she gets right into my space and frankly I don’t like that abut am forced to mess with her since Mr. X leaves her to run the barn isle during the day and I have to move her (back to her stall) to lead my horse in the barn. She has also already proven to be dangerous; she double barreled (Kicked with both feet) Mr. X in the chest breaking 3 ribs. Yet in his eyes she can do no wrong. Anyway, so we are talking about him selling her and somehow get onto the topic of Pleasure classes (which I also don’t like) and from there it goes on to how I ride (English) and how pointless and stupid it is, and how I am always on the wrong lead (Ironically, pointed out by a saddle seat rider...no offence intended. Also my gelding is 4...I JUST started doing leads with him 2 months ago, before that I was rebuilding my confidence on him as he had tossed me when I first got on him and destroyed said confidence. [​IMG]), how I can’t ride worth a crap (10 years of professional lessons and the fact that I can stay on a 2-4 year old Anglo-Arab say otherwise.), and how I don’t know what I am talking about (which he states quite a bit). And about how hard barrel racing is (his OLD hobby) and how I could never do anything like that on my gelding, with my skill. And how much better western is than English and how I am always in my horse’s mouth (Which if I can deny anything to a T this is 100% NOT true, I have incredibly soft hands and my horse’s mouth is butter.). Well this is all quickly upsetting me, which is hard to do as I am a calm and easy going person who can handle most anything some angry old man can throw at them. For some reason he hit all the right/wrong notes and as we are driving away I just bawl my eyes out, I know he is wrong and just being a jerk but it still hurts. I know I can ride; I know I ride ½ decently. I have ridden western in the past and think it is wrong for me but others may like it. He just can’t respect my way of doing things and frankly I am tired of it.

I am finally ready to move to a new barn, this barn owner has simply gone too far this time. I am darn tired of dealing with all his crud and disrespect. I wonder if I am just being a sensitive baby. What do y’all think of this?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I don't own a horse, let me say that right off the bat.

You need to board your horse somewhere else.

Even if what he said was true (and I believe you that it's not because he sounds like one of those miserable folks who like to share the misery) you did NOT ask for his opinion or to be berated, insulted or spoken to rudely. You pay him to board your horse there. His job is to honor his obligations under that contract, not to make you miserable and make you not want to go out there.

Find a new barn and barn owner.

3. Anguissette

Anguissette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Find a new barn ASAP!

There is no reason to cause yourself one minute of unhappiness in this life. This man is totally rude and disrepectful. There is no reason to let his terrible outlook on life cause you this inner turmoil. For goodness sake don't pay someone to disrespect you. Move yourself and your horse to somewhere you can be more comfortable!

4. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    I have owned several horses over the years.
    Have also managed a rental barn, (stalls, pasture and horse rental)
    You should have moved out a long time ago.
    He has issues that have nothing do to with you or your riding.
    You did not ask for his advise, I think he should have kept his thoughts to himself.
    JMO grouchy old fart

5. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Honey, why the heck are you still there? Are you a masochist? Is it the only barn within a 100 miles? LEAVE! You pay him, right? You don't board there for free? There is no excuse for such rude behavior except stupidity...and everybody knows you can't fix 'stupid'. Run, don't walk, run away from this rude hateful man! Find a barn that has other riders that share your discipline and find out how much more pleasant it is to ride/interact with people who have similiar riding styles as you. Or at least other people who are less antagonistic as this old fart! There will usually be someone at any given barn that isn't the most pleasant person to be around, but it shouldn't be the person you are paying! I myself ride western, and I can't ever imagine myself wearing the tight breeches, or riding in an English saddle, but...I would NEVER pass judgement on someone elses choice of riding style. I am not the best rider myself and I know if you can ride in an English saddle, then you have some riding skills, you have to to stay on! You are not being an oversensitive baby! Please find another place where you can enjoy your style of riding without being critisized! I am sure you will enjoy the time spent with your horse so much more!

6. Fluff-n-Feathers

Fluff-n-Feathers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    He [​IMG] should NOT treat you like that! [​IMG]

I've been riding for a long time too, (english) and if the person that you are boarding from is that disrespectful towards you and your horse, and even putting you two in danger, you should get out of there ASAP! Also, i for one would never be ablt to stand someone accusing me of not knowing my horse/riding bad on her i would be so mad! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Its not just you, and you have my vote to board at a new barn! [​IMG]

7. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    The first time he let his horse run loose in the isle, I would have loaded my horse on a trailer and left. Regardless of his rude, tactless comments, that is a safety issue.

8. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would definitely find a new boarding stable as soon as practical. Do you have a contract with this guy? If not then GET OUT NOW!

There is no reason for his behavior other than being a rude and bitter person. Riding and taking care of your horse should be a fun and relaxing experience and it sounds like the one you are going through is completely stressful and not fun at all. I have boarded at many places in many different states throughout the years and have never seen or heard anything like what you are going through. I am sure you can find a better place.

Is money part of the problem? Does he not charge as much as any other places near you? If that is the case then talk to them, see if you can work off part or all of your board. Maybe it is because he is closer to you than any other place… what is an extra half an hour (or whatever time) so that you have a relaxing and SAFE environment to enjoy your hobby.

You are SO not being a sensitive baby about all of this. You should have been out 4 years ago.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Move the horse. It is YOUR decision how you ride and how you train your horse.

Not to hijack, but to the OP - I have an attachment issue with my two horses. One cannot be without the other for longer than 5 minutes. Any suggestions?

10. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Quote:You need a third horse to keep the one alone company.....I got one I'd be willing to sell. I'd even make a special rate just for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by