Barn ventilation question

EKlinds

Chirping
Jul 13, 2021
New Hampshire
Hi All!

This is our first winter with chickens, we are in New Hampshire and are going to be getting into the single digits next week overnight. So far our 4 girls have been doing great in the dipping temps! And still laying consistently. So here’s my question- We have them in our large two story barn (unheated) with attached run with roof. I’ve been seeing a ton about ventilation of smaller coops but not barns. Should I be keeping the top of the door open overnight? (Stall style door) or is it large enough that I don’t need anything extra? I keep the door open all day unless it’s super windy and close up at night. They still like to go out but should I be keeping them inside in low temps? Their roost is against the wall away from the door. Any insight or advice would be great! Thanks so much

Last edited:
We have them in our large two story barn (unheated) with attached run with roof. I’ve been seeing a ton about ventilation of smaller coops but not barns. Should I be keeping the top of the door open overnight? (Stall style door) or is it large enough that I don’t need anything extra?
I don't see how 4 chickens could stink up a barn, in terms of its volume of air and amount of ventilation it is already there in a form of cracks in the walls, etc. So I would keep the door closed overnight to keep the predators and winds out, unless you come in the morning and it smells a bit like public washroom.
I keep the door open all day unless it’s super windy and close up at night. They still like to go out but should I be keeping them inside in low temps?
They will know better than you when they are cold and want to stay inside
Their roost is against the wall away from the door. Any insight or advice would be great! Thanks so much
Given the barn size they will not have the benefit of having few degrees warmer air because of the heat they produce that people observe in smaller coops. But for as long as you keep the draft out they should be fine. You could consider putting a loft/shelf above their roosts with a wall on each side to limit air circulation and gain some heating benefits of smaller coop.

Can you add a few pictures of the whole barn and of the stall? Especially size of the barn and size and ventilation of the stall.
Sure here you go! I’m not home at the moment so I tried to get the best ones I could find to give you a rough idea. They are not confined in a stall but have fenced off half of the inside for them, it is all open

Attachments

• AC938923-7B2A-4BAB-827B-99C6EA237C01.jpeg
    AC938923-7B2A-4BAB-827B-99C6EA237C01.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 10
  • CEC535D8-DAF3-4843-B56C-02A074B47E70.jpeg
    CEC535D8-DAF3-4843-B56C-02A074B47E70.jpeg
    908.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 13FC7A04-DAFE-4251-A148-0616488FFCD4.jpeg
    13FC7A04-DAFE-4251-A148-0616488FFCD4.jpeg
    787.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 59D06D8D-2A08-49EE-A88B-A815222BE566.jpeg
    59D06D8D-2A08-49EE-A88B-A815222BE566.jpeg
    968.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 7FFA56E0-62FD-45C1-98A9-037FA7A93D0A.jpeg
    7FFA56E0-62FD-45C1-98A9-037FA7A93D0A.jpeg
    593.9 KB · Views: 10
I don't see how 4 chickens could stink up a barn, in terms of its volume of air and amount of ventilation it is already there in a form of cracks in the walls, etc. So I would keep the door closed overnight to keep the predators and winds out, unless you come in the morning and it smells a bit like public washroom.

They will know better than you when they are cold and want to stay inside

Given the barn size they will not have the benefit of having few degrees warmer air because of the heat they produce that people observe in smaller coops. But for as long as you keep the draft out they should be fine. You could consider putting a loft/shelf above their roosts with a wall on each side to limit air circulation and gain some heating benefits of smaller coop.

Thank you for the detailed reply! Very helpful I appreciate it, and I love the idea of making them a little loft! I will look into doing that :)

I would love to have a barn like that!!!

I would leave the door open. The door is well sheltered by being in the middle of the barn, that looks like a nice tight barn, that cold by itself (as in without strong drafts or too much moisture) is not a problem for the chickens.

I can't see any reason to close it.

I do understand how hard it can be to accept they will be okay when the temperatures are reaching as cold as we are used it getting. People feel the same way when their "coldest" is 40sF, 30sF, 20sF...and I chuckle a bit because that isn't cold. Then I do the same when it reaches teens below. And the people keeping chickens in Alaska and Northern Canada chuckle a bit. Really, it isn't a problem until somewhere around 20 below F. Then you do want to do things differently (insulate, add a bit of heat, and so on).

Just don't try to put vaseline on their combs, wattles, or legs. That doesn't help and can hurt.

You do want to make sure they have plenty of water - hydration will help keep good circulation through their combs and wattles. And full crops - digestion is the best way for them to generate heat (any digestion, cracked corn or oats isn't any better than their regular food)

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

I would leave the door open. The door is well sheltered by being in the middle of the barn, that looks like a nice tight barn, that cold by itself (as in without strong drafts or too much moisture) is not a problem for the chickens.

I do understand how hard it can be to accept they will be okay when the temperatures are reaching as cold as we are used it getting. People feel the same way when their "coldest" is 40sF, 30sF, 20sF...and I chuckle a bit because that isn't cold. Then I do the same when it reaches teens below. And the people keeping chickens in Alaska and Northern Canada chuckle a bit. Really, it isn't a problem until somewhere around 20 below F. Then you do want to do things differently (insulate, add a bit of heat, and so on).

Just don't try to put vaseline on their combs, wattles, or legs. That doesn't help and can hurt.

You do want to make sure they have plenty of water - hydration will help keep good circulation through their combs and wattles. And full crops - digestion is the best way for them to generate heat (any digestion, cracked corn or oats isn't any better than their regular food)

Haha no need to be sorry, the more info the merrier! And yes the barn was definitely a big selling point for me when we first bought the house! That is soooo true on it being hard to accept, I’m just now feeling a little better about them being in the cold overnight but I feel better knowing they have built in jackets! I do still feel a bit guilty when I go out to turn the lights off then go back into the warm house though haha. Thank you so much for the info/tips I appreciate it!!

Back
Top Bottom