Barnevelda natures/personalities ????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Spoiltchickens, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Spoiltchickens

Spoiltchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    I'm interested in finding out what type of natures that Barnevelda's have. I have 2 one month old chicks. Can anybody please give me some insight to this very pretty breed?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's Barnevelder - and mine are really laid back and sweet. Even the roosters are calm. I love their docile temperament.

3. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I fostered a barneveldor chick for a friend till she was around 2 months, she was a very sweet little girl.

4. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

We love our Barnevelders! They have sweet dispositions and are calm and steady. They have been good layers of large eggs. We have 6 Barnies and are getting more soon!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I luuuurve my barnies, but I am looking to rehome them if anyone in Sacramento/El Dorado/Placer/San Joaquin counties is interested..... I have 2 pairs. One pair is supposed to be from Carol Ledford lines, but the female has very, very poor lacing and is of poor quality markings-wise (I've seen better barnies from hatcheries!), though she's sweet as sugar and may produce better quality offspring with the right breeding.

We got them with the intent to breed them, but I am breeding white faced black Spanish instead, as they are on the official Endangered Species list, and I would hate to see them go away.

6. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    I love my Barnies.....and I couldn't agree more with Happy Chooks, they are very laid back birds. Sweet mannered and quiet unlike my noisey egg song singing Welsummers. [​IMG]

7. Spoiltchickens

Spoiltchickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2011
    Thank you to everyone! I'm really pleased with my choice now.
    I have name one Lazy Lacey as s/he seems very chilled and cuddles into my hand when I hold her.
    It's sibling is the Adventurous Angel, s/he is a bit more on the flighty squawky side. However Angel will always strike a pose for me when my camera's out. I seriously didn't realize just how addictive raising chickens could be. I'm really pleased I've started up this new little hobby. Stay tuned and I'll try to figure out how to post some pictures of them on here, I'd love to see some of other people's barnie's too [​IMG]

8. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by