1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barnevelder a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elizabethbinary, Dec 27, 2010.

1. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    [​IMG]

Sorry about my big ol' Elvis bum.

I got two Barnies at couple day hatch and was told they were both sexed hens. Well one appears to be coming up with a comb. WAY more than the other. Stands different too. Guessing it's a roo. I was told if it came up a roo I'd get a refund, so... [​IMG]

2. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    If it's showing double lacing, it's a hen. The roosters can't get the double-lacing.

3. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Okay I just had a closer look because I'm not actually sure what double lacing looked like but then I saw the one I thought was a hen had way way more marks in her feathers and the one I think is a roo definitely looked single-laced.

Edit: and when I grabbed the hen to check, the "roo" came running over to give me a what-for, so I think she might be his hen....

Oooo... I don't mind them being roo and hen, I'll get a refund *and* a breeding pair! Woo.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's a pullet.

5. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Can you please explain how you know so I can sex them myself in the future? [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  7. elizabethbinary

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow thank you! [​IMG] Appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by