BARNEVELDER CHICKS GENDER help please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickypets, Sep 24, 2011.

1. chickypets

chickypets Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Hi
    I have just hatched with the help of my very broody White sussex hen two Barnevelder chicks that I got as fertile eggs. Mummy Hen is soooooo proud and excited. I would love to know if anyone could sex them for me. They are only 5 days old. So let me know if this is too early. I have included photos of beaks and wings. There is one yellow one and one browner one. They are so cute and it is such a treat to have them. Thanks!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

first pic is proud mama
    2-4 yellow chick
    4-6 brown chick

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Well, its too early. [​IMG]

3. chickypets

Sep 24, 2011
    thanks. i'm really new to this so what age can you usually tell?

4. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:usually you can tell when they are about 6 weeks.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You can generally sex barnevelders at hatch by their chest color. It's not 100% but it's a good estimate. Boys have white chests and girls have taupe chests.

But I hate to be the bearer of bad news - those aren't barnevelder chicks, at least not pure barnevelders. Here's what pure barnevelders look like.
    [​IMG]

Ignore the mottled java's here:
    [​IMG]

6. chickypets

Sep 24, 2011
    thanks for your help. Ill wait a few weeks. The lady I bought the eggs off also had araucana and welsummer so even tho she sold them as Barnevelder may have been a cross breed. Thanks. I love them anyway. May post more photos at the six week mark if I stil l cant tell. [​IMG]

7. Yep, definitely a cross. They look like the cross I got between my barnevelder roo and my leghorn ladies.

That said, the chicks are now showing beautiful creamy white double lacing in their teen wings. I'm real keen to see how they turn out as adults, and hoping most are hens, rather than roos! Sometimes crossbreeding can be so interesting!

8. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by