1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barnevelder & Cochin eggs - Candling Results :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Mar 25, 2009.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I am on day 13 with some Barnevelder & Mottled Bantam Cochin eggs. I started with 23 Barnie's and 16 Cochin eggs that were shipped to me. I have 12 Barnie egg's that I see movement in, 9 that have something in them, but didn't see movement and 2 clears, that I tossed. Of the 16 Cochin eggs I have 9 that have movement in them, the other 7 were either clear or had blood rings. I am so excited to have this many babies growing!!! I had my Barnevelder eggs shipped "special handling" and paid the extra $7.10 for it and the package arrived in the worst condition of any shipments of eggs I have ever received. (The seller did complain to the PO and they refunded her the money and she is sending me a refund, so that is good.) I was worried if any would grow, but this looks like it could turn out to be my best hatch ever. I think the biggest difference has been, that I have not candled them until now. I have left them alone in the bator, kept it closed and kept my temp and humidity as level as possible. Only 8 more days, I can't wait!!!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Those sound like good results so far considering the shipping treatment! I am on day 13 of my first shipped eggs! I candled last night and I only had 2 clears and the rest looked great! I have Ameraucanas and silkies from Dipsy Doodle Doo!!

I too just left them alone until last night. Maybe it really helps to just let them settle in and grow!

Here's to us having great hatches!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by