1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Barnevelder/EE cross? Can u get dk green eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeardedChick, Oct 19, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Random thought - can you cross a dark egg layer with EE or Ameraucana and produce crossbreed chickens that will lay dark greenish egg?

Dark greenish eggs would be COOL. [​IMG]

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I think so! Go for it! I am working one one right now with a green laying hen in with a cuckoo marans roo.

3. BeardedChick

Ooooh, let me know how it turns out! Is it an EE hen?

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Isn't something similar to that called an 'Olive Egger'? It'd be interesting.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Oliver eggers are sick (as in good) LOL

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  6. BeardedChick

Oh YEAH, babies! I searched on 'olive egger' and found MaransGuy's great photo:

[​IMG]

Neat! I want olive eggers!

7. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    anyone have any pictures of a 'olive egger' ? [​IMG]

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    No, but here is a pic of my barred and bearded EE girl. Just got her a couple of weeks ago. The lady got rid of her because she said she didn't lay a green egg, just brownish. Well, got her home and a few days later she laid a long skinny green egg! I guess she just hadn't started laying yet because she was waiting for me to come get her! Now I am on the lookout for a KILLER DILLER super nicely barred cock to put her with. I have a cuckoo marans, so I could get olive eggers from that, but I would love to get some killer barred and bearded olive eggers going.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by